Smart Mobile Device Question???

For announcing, describing and discussing code changes to BNT.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Smart Mobile Device Question???

Post by TheMightyDude » Tue Nov 22, 2016 19:42 UTC

Just a quick question...

Who has a Smart Mobile Device like a Smart Phone, or Tablet?

I ask because I am thinking of adding a 2 Pass Verification feature to the game code.
So if enabled you would have to use either the Google Authenticator or the Microsoft Authenticator, they both work fine and display the same information.

This would add a second layer to security to the already SSL (i.e. HTTPS) making it more difficult for people to hack your accounts.

So every time you log in onto your game account you will have to enter your username (i.e. email) and your password and the click on login, then if you have the 2PV enabled a popup will appear asking for your 6 digit code, you will have a 30 second window to enter your code, so you can take your time.

Please note, its always best to wait for the code to just change on the Authenticator so you have more time to enter the code.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

Rincewind

Re: Smart Mobile Device Question???

Post by Rincewind » Wed Nov 23, 2016 06:01 UTC

Got an iPhone here, Android phone and a plethora of VirtualDevices via Genymotion (Android versions)

in case you need help with testing.

Also around Christmas will have access to some more devices when I go visit family. I believe they have iPads and perhaps even a Microsoft Smartphone, but not sure about MS one.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Wed Nov 23, 2016 16:30 UTC

Well I am thinking ahead here, just working out what goes where and if its feasible or not ready for when I start coding.

Due to I hate getting part the way through a development to discover its not going to work, this is why I am playing about with a browser version as well as a dedicated client.

I did have a few bad days last week hence nothing being done.

I know at this point there is more chance a dedicated client has more chance of working than doing it as a browser version.

But at the end of the day I will be upsetting players no matter what I do, so I might as well do it the way I want.
That way I will have fun playing the game as well.

And to top that my main PC (Windows 10 Pro Retail) is playing up due to a Windows Update in the past, so its due a new 1TB SSD and a complete clean reinstall.
Sadly the drive won't arrive until 26th - 27th November (i.e. 3 to 4 days), so that gives me time to back stuff up ready for the clean install.

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Wed Nov 23, 2016 23:58 UTC

That sucks about the PC, I know how that feels. A couple years back I lost 1 drive that I used to store and categorize near 500GB carefully chosen Drum and Bass and other electronic music. :'( still makes me so sad I never had a backup. Huge lesson for me.

As for the client - browser or standalone - I don't mind :) as long as it works, it's intuitive and has good server-side performance. I hate playing BNT on potato machines.

thekabal

Post by thekabal » Sun Nov 27, 2016 18:14 UTC

I've got an iPhone, and have no objection to 2FA.

I probably wouldn't use it if I had the option not to, but if not, would probably deal with it.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Sun Nov 27, 2016 18:36 UTC

thekabal wrote:I've got an iPhone, and have no objection to 2FA.

I probably wouldn't use it if I had the option not to, but if not, would probably deal with it.
It was going to be an optional feature, I have always hated being forced into using something that might not be needed etc.

Saying that, I think it would be beneficial later on when I make the game (server side) available for 3rd party admins that want to have their game listed on our network of games.
We cannot have an admin loosing access to their admin account of they server.

But like I have said, its just an optional feature.