Banned Accounts...

Announcements related to BNT and the BlackNova.net site.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Banned Accounts...

Post by TheMightyDude » Mon Jun 23, 2014 18:05 UTC

Hello All

Just letting you know that anyone that does anything that ends them in a ban near the end of the round will remain banned for the next round and will have to wait for the reset after that before the ban is lifted.

The reason for this is I am getting fed up of players cheating or doing something that they are not suppose to be doing near the end of the round resulting them in only a short ban lasting a week or so.
So as of next round any player that does anything that results in a ban near the end of the round will stay banned for that next round.

So be warned.
Our Rules page will be updated to reflect this, so read our rules before signing up.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

thekabal

Re: Banned Accounts...

Post by thekabal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 01:07 UTC

Folks pulling these stunts need to realize that TMD has kept a BNT game running almost continuously for over a *DECADE*.

Other servers have come and gone. Other admins have taken abuse and left. TMD has stood resolute and provided this game and this site for longer than anyone else.

Please, be respectful of that investment. Also? Soon we are going to have persistent accounts, and this sort of nonsense will get you banned for multiple games, possibly across multiple servers!

Show some class folks.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Tue Jun 24, 2014 04:35 UTC

Just a thought, in real life when society catches a scumbag crook/cheat it separates them from the rest of society (prison). Therefore how about having a separate game for cheaters /banned folk. This cheat game would be anything goes maybe even sofa or aggressive ai that attacks them . The game winner n maybe the runner up are redeemed at the end of the game and can join the next proper bnt game while the rest of the scumbags stay in cheat game until they win or do well. Kinda think of "Escape from New York" type of scenario.

thekabal

Post by thekabal » Tue Jun 24, 2014 04:49 UTC

Alberto wrote:Therefore how about having a separate game for cheaters /banned folk.
"People have broken your rules, so how about we punish them by giving them ANOTHER game, that they have permission to abuse even more".

Umm, no.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:14 UTC

thekabal wrote:Also? Soon we are going to have persistent accounts, and this sort of nonsense will get you banned for multiple games, possibly across multiple servers!
Well if all goes well and to plan, once we go over to hosting the accounts as part of a free service banned accounts will result in a ban on all games using that service, so a single ban becomes a huge multi server ban.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:14 UTC

thekabal wrote:
Alberto wrote:Therefore how about having a separate game for cheaters /banned folk.
"People have broken your rules, so how about we punish them by giving them ANOTHER game, that they have permission to abuse even more".

Umm, no.
Yeah, this is never going to happen.

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Thu Jun 26, 2014 06:41 UTC

phpfixer wrote:In fact, I and a friend of mine once managed to cause, literally, a server crash when the database locked up - when we both attacked the same ship at the exact same moment (to the nanosecond) by chance

Looks like we got ourselves our first candidate for the cheater's game, I mean what are the odds of 2 separate players vs same player with 2 accounts being able to attack "to the nano second" lol.

Don't get me wrong I admired the people that were able to kill both the ship and the escape pod by using a double attack. Like most experienced players I to am guilty of creative game play in the past. If we ever had the unfortunate pleasure to run into one another in one of these cheater's games it would be an honor.

In any case the game has under gone many performance improvements since you hosted your games and a reasonably knowledgeable admin shouldn't have any issues.

phpfixer

Post by phpfixer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 00:31 UTC

Alberto wrote:
phpfixer wrote:In fact, I and a friend of mine once managed to cause, literally, a server crash when the database locked up - when we both attacked the same ship at the exact same moment (to the nanosecond) by chance

Looks like we got ourselves our first candidate for the cheater's game, I mean what are the odds of 2 separate players vs same player with 2 accounts being able to attack "to the nano second" lol.

Don't get me wrong I admired the people that were able to kill both the ship and the escape pod by using a double attack. Like most experienced players I to am guilty of creative game play in the past. If we ever had the unfortunate pleasure to run into one another in one of these cheater's games it would be an honor.

In any case the game has under gone many performance improvements since you hosted your games and a reasonably knowledgeable admin shouldn't have any issues.
Actually, the friend I mentioned was in Florida, while I was in Pennsylvania, at the time... and it was on my own server.

I do agree the code has been vastly improved since then (we also participated in development of it and the spin-off The Kabal Invasion) - but, there was no cheating involved - it was simply luck of the draw - odds of that happening, even with a multi-account from one player, are astronomical I could not duplicate it again if I tried.
- the crash came about because when that simultaneous click was done, the php code processed it, and the database *in both instances* was seen to be "not locked" and both processes created an exclusive database lock on the same table (ships) at the same time, resulting in a reasource conflict - neither one could write updates to the database due to the conflicting DB lock. Normally mysql/php will check if it CAN lock the tables and it would have to be a very laggy and slow check , or a simultaneous (perfectly) event for two distinct processes to be able to create a DB table lock at the same time. It'd be an extremely rare event, but still as we found out, very possible.

But - I would tend to say the odds of such an event happening are greatly improved when you allow a cheaters game... so as I said, better be an excellent server admin , and your own dedicated server - if that had happened on a "vrtual host" (server with many websites run by many other people) we'd have had our hosting account suspended for that event.. it would have brought down *every* website hosted on that server, as getting out of that lock required a complete server reboot (power cycle) to allow those temporary lock files to be removed and free memory back up.

This is just past experience.. but by all means go ahead and run yourself a cheaters game, but when the $^!& hits the fan, don't say you were not warned. :) (BTW, I used to run those games on, and still own, crazybri.net and crazybri.com)