Partly Back up...

Announcements related to BNT and the BlackNova.net site.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Re: Partly Back up...

Post by TheMightyDude » Mon May 25, 2015 18:11 UTC

ccatlett2000 wrote:Wow, that hurts. Sorry to hear that.
I think that's and some other stuff was why most of the other developers left.
ccatlett2000 wrote:Anyways, be sure to announce if your new design comes to fruition.
I plan to.
ccatlett2000 wrote:From what I can see of looking at the current state of the code, restarting would probably have a big benefit.
Yeah, we tried to make it cleaner, but due to everyone having different coding standards made it become a mess.
Some of the new stuff was cleaner code and had comments, but due to the state of some of the files, especially the lager ones it was becoming too time consuming and would of been quicker if we started from scratch.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

thekabal

Post by thekabal » Thu May 28, 2015 19:08 UTC

TheMightyDude wrote: Yeah, we tried to make it cleaner, but due to everyone having different coding standards made it become a mess.
Some of the new stuff was cleaner code and had comments, but due to the state of some of the files, especially the lager ones it was becoming too time consuming and would of been quicker if we started from scratch.
It is definitely time consuming to work on, and the larger files are .. very difficult.

"It would have been quicker if we started from scratch" is a fairly bold claim. Starting from scratch is a substantial time investment, and its hard to measure how quick that would/could happen based on the small number of contributors we've had for the last five years.

Plenty of forks have spawned over the fifteen years of BNT, and none of them successfully started from scratch. Not one. There have been something like a dozen BNT forks, all from the existing code. That seems like solid evidence that plenty of forks have succeeded, and no "from scratch" rewrites have. That doesn't mean it couldn't be faster, but it shows that lots of people have had more success going the opposite direction.

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. I'd love to see BNT back in active status!

In the meantime, I'm doing my best to continue the legacy, but have rather limited time and energy for it. Anyone is welcome at my fork of the project: https://github.com/thekabal/tki/ . I hope to expand the efforts in time.

wolverine

Post by wolverine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 07:15 UTC

i tried a number of times to start an advance version. but after a few days i wonder if it is worth it.

first there has been a number of times i heard there was going to be a new version coming.
second thats a lot of coding just to have someone come out with something better and quicker
because i was doing it myself.
third it would not actually be my game. just a remake of yours.

so i just end up quitting.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Fri Jun 12, 2015 16:48 UTC

wolverine wrote:i tried a number of times to start an advance version. but after a few days i wonder if it is worth it.
Well I like some of the features of advanced which I think was based of TKI (correct me if I am wrong) but I had always had issues getting that fully working, but that could be just down to not knowing its code.
wolverine wrote:first there has been a number of times i heard there was going to be a new version coming.
Yep, mostly said by me, I originally wanted to recode the code from scratch that we currently have in SVN on Sourceforge, but at the time seemed too much work to do within a short time, we was getting through a large bulk of it, but seemed to be taking way too much time, and the longer we held back on completing it we lost more and more users.

Also over the time while us two thekabal and myself was working through the code we had the odd disagreement here and there that use to though a spanner in the works but normally resolve itself and we would get back coding, however the last disagreement and also me being very unwell requiring loads of medical appointment and several rounds of steroid treatments which has mostly failed to do its job (the main reason I was hardly around much) I think that was a tipping point to us developing as a team on BNT, I know thekabal has taken the codebase over to I think GitHub (correct me if I am wrong) so I wish him all the luck with his development.

As to my last announcement about my new game, this wasn't to be a browser game but a full PC Game using a Full 3D Engine and was to later on released on a Mac and several Mobile Devices.
This game was at the same time the PC version was being developed the Browser version was going to be done, the browser version required a plugin to be installed for it to run on them.
wolverine wrote:second thats a lot of coding just to have someone come out with something better and quicker because i was doing it myself.
See this is my current issue that I keep worrying about, I am still currently still in the development stages at the moment trying to fit as much time as I can when I have good days that I am able to spend on development, I am fully aware of there always being the better games out there but I have also seen very low quality looking games that had some humour make the developer a multi millionaire, and yes it doesn't matter how good you are there is always somebody better and the same goes with games, which I have come to terms with, which is why I have decided on developing a Multiplayer Game that I would like to play which will be on a huge scale, which is to be free to play, with the possible option to purchase stuff for real currency (we need to pay for the server and all its traffic), this game was not to be reset like BNT or its forks currently require, so you could think of it as a Space Trading/Combat/Crafting and much more type of MMO.

The game world will start off on a small scale at first while we bring in the players and when its large enough we will expand the universe to the next scale and so on.

Players was always moaning of not much trading even though the word traders is in its name hardly any trading happens, so I think you should see trading as much as the combat side of things.
wolverine wrote:third it would not actually be my game. just a remake of yours.
Well here is how it is, I got fed up of people take stuff, rebadging as theirs and refusing to release the changes, so due to those low life's any games that I do now will be closed sourced and only run on here, also these new games will all use the same login information, I am basically trying to aim towards a gaming network of free games that have a micro-credits system etc.

Well do what I did, when I first joined the BNT Development Team a year or two after it was created I already knew at that time C/C++ and Visual Basic (yeah I know) but I had the basic skills, I spent months looking through the code, granted some parts went way over my head LOL, but over time I gradually got to know the BNT code.
What I am trying to say is if there is a type of game that you would like, then go and make it, just don't do what I have done many times now by just jumping in and start coding, you will hit a brick wall which could cost you several months of coding when you only wanted to add in a small feature.
wolverine wrote:so i just end up quitting.
I feel like this on many occasions.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

ccatlett2000

Post by ccatlett2000 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:31 UTC

wolverine wrote:third it would not actually be my game. just a remake of yours.
Honestly, the fact that you can admit that gives me some faith in humanity. That you admit you might be improving the game, but it isn't you original idea.

Good luck on your game(s), TheMIghtyDude. Make sure to post on these forums when they're ready.