Tried sending a PM, but board wouldn't let me

Do you need help playing, have ideas for the game or just want to talk about what's going on in the game? This is the place.

Rincewind

Tried sending a PM, but board wouldn't let me

Post by Rincewind » Sat Nov 05, 2016 16:53 UTC

Just curious, while there was a game running here last time, how many people played it?
Also, while trying to send TheMightyDude a PM to ask this, the board said the user doesn't exist. Weird.

I'd really love to have a good 50+ players game (I know I'm most likely dreaming...)

Regards,

Rince

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Re: Tried sending a PM, but board wouldn't let me

Post by TheMightyDude » Sat Nov 05, 2016 17:26 UTC

Well I was able to send myself a PM.
Try clicking on the members link at the top, then click on my name, then click on "Send private message" that works for me.

As for the amount of players that we had in the last game I run (2014-09-11) had 161 ships, now some of those may of been invalid and multi accounts.

So assuming 20% was either invalid or multi accounts that would give us about 128 players.

Granted not all players was playing at the same time.

TBH, I think we always have had a reasonable amount of players when I use to run the games.
I also remember several years ago when I run a separate game at my home I had over 1K players but I think that was due to I did have custom written AI running at the time before the server died :(
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

thekabal

Post by thekabal » Sun Nov 06, 2016 21:48 UTC

TheMightyDude wrote: As for the amount of players that we had in the last game I run (2014-09-11) had 161 ships, now some of those may of been invalid and multi accounts.
The Wayback/Internet Archive shows at least a couple of times in 2014 where it was relatively low (~30 players): https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ga ... anking.php

But from 2012 to 2014, every snapshot shows less than 75 players, and we have to go back to October of 2012 to see 61 players.
TheMightyDude wrote: TBH, I think we always have had a reasonable amount of players when I use to run the games.
I also remember several years ago when I run a separate game at my home I had over 1K players but I think that was due to I did have custom written AI running at the time before the server died :(
The games running on the blacknova.net domain have definitely generally been more populated than any others, with rare exceptions for specific points of time in the distant past.

Google PageRank helps quite a bit, as does active development and discussion.

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Sun Nov 06, 2016 22:32 UTC

thekabal wrote:
TheMightyDude wrote: As for the amount of players that we had in the last game I run (2014-09-11) had 161 ships, now some of those may of been invalid and multi accounts.
The Wayback/Internet Archive shows at least a couple of times in 2014 where it was relatively low (~30 players): https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ga ... anking.php

But from 2012 to 2014, every snapshot shows less than 75 players, and we have to go back to October of 2012 to see 61 players.
TheMightyDude wrote: TBH, I think we always have had a reasonable amount of players when I use to run the games.
The games running on the blacknova.net domain have definitely generally been more populated than any others, with rare exceptions for specific points of time in the distant past.

Google PageRank helps quite a bit, as does active development and discussion.
Well I was more referring to the last game I run (2014-09-11) which had 161 players playing on and off, I wasn't referring to they was all online at the same time :P

Just that they was active on and off.

But yeah I must agree with you referring to we used to get more players playing on our run games than other peoples servers running BNT.
Not sure why, I was very Strict with my rules and run a no nonsense rule, maybe that was it?
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Mon Nov 07, 2016 00:20 UTC

Thanks for your replies guys, even 50 players sounds heaps better than the current 11 that play the game I'm in currently. Glad that even in 2014+ there's some players still interested in this game.