Xenobe Fix

For announcing, describing and discussing code changes to BNT.

Ron

Xenobe Fix

Post by Ron » Thu Sep 03, 2015 23:18 UTC

Hi guys,
I'm working on the Xenobe fix and have the database running, creating and editing the Xenobe are working. One issue I need looked at is the code for $ship_id in the mail calls in ship.php file. When in the sector with a Xenobe ship present the player has the options to Scan Attack Email. Once the email screen is open "ship.php" the TO and FROM fields reflect the current player instead of the email address of the Xenobe.

thx

Alberto

Re: Xenobe Fix

Post by Alberto » Fri Sep 04, 2015 00:55 UTC

Awesome if you got them working as far as the email thing the xenobes dont have their own email or even in-game messagin. That attack, scan and email player screen was originally used for actual other player ships but xenobes also use that screen. I' d just disregard the email part for the xenobes its a long time quirk.

Btw are you able to make the xenobes spawn of different sizes, i ask b/c once a game gets going new players will need small ones to hunt while established players like hunting the larger ones.

Cant wait to help test the xenobes if you want.

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 04:21 UTC

Cool...I looked over the code and couldn't find any error for it, so now it makes since..

The fix to get your Xenobe running is actually a database issue. During the install of the database an entry is overlooked causing the error and no Xenobe.

In the bnt_ships table you must add a new column then save it.

Column name - interface (all lowercase)
Type: INT
Length/Value: 11
Default: None

Then Save the new column.

Now go to yoursite/xenobe_control.php
login using the admin password
choose create new Xenobe
add as many as you want...

enjoy...

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 15:31 UTC

Xenobe gameplay:

Need clarification please. I scan a sector and see no ships reported. I go to that sector and find a ship. I go back then come back and no ship. I scan no ship, I trade come back to main and ship is there, etc.

Should the ship name appear on scanners, should it stay on screen as I trade, scan etc? I'm not sure what controls AI display in sector and scans or how scanning works. (btw I'm testing this with a AI Sentinel pplaced in the same sector I'm in so it doesn't roam on me).

Scanning and ship being there one minute, then not the next, then displays again, is the thing I'm looking at right now. Creation, editing all looks good so far and the database seems happy in that regard.

thx

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Fri Sep 04, 2015 15:45 UTC

Ron wrote:Xenobe gameplay:

Need clarification please. I scan a sector and see no ships reported. I go to that sector and find a ship. I go back then come back and no ship. I scan no ship, I trade come back to main and ship is there, etc.

Should the ship name appear on scanners, should it stay on screen as I trade, scan etc? I'm not sure what controls AI display in sector and scans or how scanning works. (btw I'm testing this with a AI Sentinel pplaced in the same sector I'm in so it doesn't roam on me).

Scanning and ship being there one minute, then not the next, then displays again, is the thing I'm looking at right now. Creation, editing all looks good so far and the database seems happy in that regard.

thx
Its dependant on your ships scanners and their cloak levels.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Fri Sep 04, 2015 16:08 UTC

Ron wrote:Xenobe gameplay:

thx
From my experience here's how finding them works. Keep in mind xenobes can have high cloak levels which is why sometimes you see them sometimes you dont. Also they are supposed to move with every update depending on the timer even though its classified as a sentinel it might still move (i dont know). When i say move i mean they randomly emergency warp at update so generally you won't find them simply moving to a neighboring sector. Anyways here's the best way to find them.

1) use long range scan (full scan of multiple sectors) that shows all planets and any ships in all sectors (cloak levels are not used in full scan so you get 100% accuracy)

2) if you individually scan sectors the cloak levels "are" used . Additionally when you go into a sector where you know there is a xenobes but you cant see him , keep refreshing your screen until you do. Its simply a roll of dice. The xenobes cloak strength vs your sensor strength

3) upgrade your sensors whenever you can

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Sep 04, 2015 16:19 UTC

For this test I have set the AI cloak to 0 already, but it sounds like the game is working correctly and the Xenobes are doing as intended..that's great news.

I have not upgraded my sensors yet, wishing to keep everything bare new install for the testing. I'll continue adding and testing some more and upgrade sensors when I can.

thx

Alberto

Post by Alberto » Wed Sep 09, 2015 23:59 UTC

Ron wrote:For this test I have set the AI cloak to 0 already, but it sounds like the game is working correctly and the Xenobes are doing as intended..that's great news.

I have not upgraded my sensors yet, wishing to keep everything bare new install for the testing. I'll continue adding and testing some more and upgrade sensors when I can.

thx

Just wondering if your going to make your game public anytime soon? Your probably waiting to get a few more kinks out but I'm sure people would love to play a bnt game with xenobes even if its not perfect.

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Sep 14, 2015 00:21 UTC

Yeah I hope to but first I have a bug with emailing. User accounts are being created but no email is being sent to new users. The mail server is running and works for other projects just not Black Nova. The email config seems simple just not sure why it's not working.

I have several flavors of Nova written by several devs so I'm looking at codes and seeing what can be happening with this build or tweaks I may need to make to my server. Once I get that fixed we should be ready to play a game or 2 and see how it runs.

thx

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Mon Sep 14, 2015 02:43 UTC

Ron wrote:Yeah I hope to but first I have a bug with emailing. User accounts are being created but no email is being sent to new users. The mail server is running and works for other projects just not Black Nova. The email config seems simple just not sure why it's not working.

I have several flavors of Nova written by several devs so I'm looking at codes and seeing what can be happening with this build or tweaks I may need to make to my server. Once I get that fixed we should be ready to play a game or 2 and see how it runs.

thx
BNT uses PHP Mail(...) to send their mail and the last time I ran the live games the emails were sent fine, and that was for the released code as well as the code in the code base.

Maybe Mail() in PHP isn't setup right?

Try creating a fine called dev in your BNT root folder and re-create the universe, this is to put the game into debug mode, then try again with the account creation and if it still fails see what gets displayed on the screen as well as what is displayed on perfmon.php or in the database in table adodb_logsql that might give you a reason why its not working.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch