Sol re-purchasing

Do you need help playing, have ideas for the game or just want to talk about what's going on in the game? This is the place.

Rincewind

Sol re-purchasing

Post by Rincewind » Thu Nov 03, 2016 06:37 UTC

I remember being able to repurchase Colonists, Fighters and Torps by re-submitting the form before.

So I'd have 4 tabs open for offloading stuff to my new planets

Travel to 0
Buy Cols, Fighters, Torps
Travel to X
Transfer to planet

repeat.

This doesn't work now anymore, since it says I have to do a new order every time? What's the purpose of that? It really breaks the gameplay for me :(

Are there any other instances where this has to be done? Can you imagine SOFAing a planet and having to do it hundreds of times, but also having to re-enter port and re-buy things manually? LOL. I dunno, seems like a bad idea :(

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Re: Sol re-purchasing

Post by TheMightyDude » Thu Nov 03, 2016 14:53 UTC

Rincewind wrote:I remember being able to repurchase Colonists, Fighters and Torps by re-submitting the form before.

So I'd have 4 tabs open for offloading stuff to my new planets

Travel to 0
Buy Cols, Fighters, Torps
Travel to X
Transfer to planet

repeat.

This doesn't work now anymore, since it says I have to do a new order every time? What's the purpose of that? It really breaks the gameplay for me :(

Are there any other instances where this has to be done? Can you imagine SOFAing a planet and having to do it hundreds of times, but also having to re-enter port and re-buy things manually? LOL. I dunno, seems like a bad idea :(
That was put in place due to it being a turn based game, it also wasn't designed to be played that way and caused some issues and make it fair for all players we put that in place.

Its the same with attacking ships and planets (I think we added it to planets) where you had to select the target (i.e. to lock onto them) and then scan and then attack.

Actually, I don't remember how it actually works, been a long time since I have taken a look at BNT code due to being very ill.
I am not too sure if you have to lock onto a target and then scan or attack and it then looses lock, or the lock stays while you are in that sector and once you leave the sector it looses lock.
I think the second one makes sense to me.

Also SOFA attacks I think have been removed or maybe disabled due to its broken and always has been.

Now depending how I do the new version, whether it be a browser based game or a stand along game, at this point I am on the fence with this, I would prefer to do a standalone that way I could cater for all devices and have more stuff that can be added.

I know I keep saying browser based games are limited and I still stand by that, they are limited, yes you can create a 3d game, but that's not good enough for what I really want, I really want a 3d environment where I can have 3d ships flying about the universe using jump engines or jump gates etc to go to different locations, to be able to see other players along with AI Ships flying about, you won't get that with HTML5 well not from me LOL.

But like I said, I am still on the fence here, but leaning more to a standalone game client and a custom written MMO Server written in C/C++ or maybe C#.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Thu Nov 03, 2016 16:03 UTC

Ahh gotcha.. I haven't played in a long time and just noticed this.

So how would one effectively kill a strong planet? It would take me forever having to click on the trade hub every time, manually tick 'escape pod'... I mean you said SOFA attacks have been removed, how do I kill a big planet then?

I thought that was part of the game design to be able to do that, because it's risky and takes time, but now - it seems impossible to catch up, and even with alliance coordination.

Also, I support either web or standalone :) I wouldn't mind either.

I just think today web is so much easier.. have you considered some fast Python framework + HTML5?

I heard of this 'ultra fast' new Python web-server that beats Flask and all the others in avg. response time, I'll post it tomorrow from work.

o/ Get well soon man! I hope you do!

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Thu Nov 03, 2016 21:36 UTC

Ok, I wasn't too sure, but I just checked the code and our code requires the attacker to click on the players ship that they want to attack, this sets a SESSION with the ship id of the victim.
Now if this SESSION is set the attacker can attack that victim and after that attack it removes that SESSION.

No if that attacker goes to a special port to restock and go back you would normally have to click onto the victims ship before you can attack them.

If you use multi tabs in your browser you will be told "You need to click on the ship first." when you refresh the actual attack tab.

The Multi-Tab Exploit appeared many years ago, but we was only aware of it a few years later when I added in Extreme Logging, where I started seeing strange things happening like pages being requested very quick and page loads that would normally be requested was missing.

And also using multi tabs you are breaking our game rules that gets displayed when you create your account on our games.
Granted game rules are different on other peoples servers, but that's our rules to make it fair or all players.

Now attacking big players ships would require time, resources and a load of patience.
Attacking big players planets can take a while and does often have multiple lower level players doing all the Kamikaze runs and the bigger player that's funding the attack then only needs to capture the planet and them pay the Kamikaze players for their work.

I really wanted it to be easy to setup as possible, also I don't know Python LOL.

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Thu Nov 03, 2016 23:43 UTC

Bugger :D

Well, thanks for explaining how it works. At least everyone is in the same boat, not just me, haha.

Also, shame about Python. How about putting up the current code to GitHub as an official repo and accepting pull requests? Perhaps someone will jump in with nifty fixes and improvements.

Also, small thing - do you would be ok to add like a button in Sol which says

"Arm the ship!" - would fully resupply with Armour, Fighters and Torpedoes. Rather than having to individually click on each. I know I'm lazy to click that much (now that tabbed attacks are somewhat dead).

o/

P.S. This is that I was talking about

https://github.com/channelcat/sanic

I know you said you don't know Python, but just thought I'd drop it here in case you ever consider fiddling with it.

Another good one could possibly be: https://phaser.io/

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Fri Nov 04, 2016 03:48 UTC

Well there is newer code on sourceforge.net which is located here.

I did at one point think about GitHub, so I "might" start to use them.

We did try to start the recode but due to me becoming ill which also led to disagreements here and there which sadly resulted in the halting in the development.

As for adding a button for the special ports, I was thinking of adding pre-sets where you can set up different buying options.
So all you do is dock with the Special Port and in the buy page you would click on the buy pre-set you want an it will auto buy that stuff.

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » Fri Nov 04, 2016 04:37 UTC

I really do like the preset idea.