Trade Wars 2117

If you have a new game running on your server, you can announce it in here.

JokerAce
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 am

Trade Wars 2117

Post by JokerAce » Wed May 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Our Trade Wars 2117 is an online multiplayer (mainly) text-based space trading game running a mildly modified version of Black Nova Traders which, itself, is based on the classic multiplayer BBS game Trade Wars.

Check out the game FAQ at http://bnt.jokersworld.com/faq.php for some basic tips on gameplay. It's easy to get started but being a turn-based strategy game, there are multiple potential approaches to achieving universal dominance.

You can form a team or go it alone, be a good guy or a not so good guy, trade and keep your head down, or boldly seek and destroy rival players.

Sign up and get started now.

http://www.JokersWorld.com

Image

retrodigital
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by retrodigital » Wed May 24, 2017 4:22 am

Thought Id let you know it appears your cronjob for scheduler.php is not working. Or it has not been setup.

Thanks
Mike

JokerAce
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 am

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by JokerAce » Wed May 24, 2017 8:14 am

It has and it's ticking along fine. I've been slowly patching other bugs though.

What made you think that?

User avatar
TheMightyDude
Site Admin
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by TheMightyDude » Wed May 24, 2017 10:59 am

JokerAce wrote:It has and it's ticking along fine. I've been slowly patching other bugs though.

What made you think that?
Retrodigital is correct, your cron jobs at not working or you have them configured wrong.

Maybe what you changed broke the scheduler?
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog Twitter Twitch

JokerAce
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 am

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by JokerAce » Wed May 24, 2017 11:13 am

TheMightyDude wrote:
JokerAce wrote:It has and it's ticking along fine. I've been slowly patching other bugs though.

What made you think that?
Retrodigital is correct, your cron jobs at not working or you have them configured wrong.

Maybe what you changed broke the scheduler?
That is certainly possible but it would be quite helpful if you wouldn't mind sharing how/what you have discovered that leads you to believe that.

I have been tweaking turn regeneration to slow down the regen cycle since it was moving much too quickly the way I had it set before. Now it's way too slow. I intend to change it so it end up in between now.

I see the cron job running, each scheduler runs and seems to do as it should.

What am I missing?

User avatar
TheMightyDude
Site Admin
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by TheMightyDude » Wed May 24, 2017 12:32 pm

When you first run the page, say the main index page: http://bnt.jokersworld.com/index.php you will see the timer go negative then back to the value set in the config which is 300 seconds i.e. 5 mins.

When ever it displays a negative number when the page is first refreshed, scheduler has either missed the last update or its not being called I.e. cron not calling scheduler or there is errors in the code.

I have just refreshed it loads of times and it rolled over, and started working, so my guesses are that one of the shed_xxxx files are breaking some place.

So the apache error logs will need to be looked at.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog Twitter Twitch

JokerAce
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 am

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by JokerAce » Wed May 24, 2017 3:03 pm

TheMightyDude wrote:When you first run the page, say the main index page: http://bnt.jokersworld.com/index.php you will see the timer go negative then back to the value set in the config which is 300 seconds i.e. 5 mins.

When ever it displays a negative number when the page is first refreshed, scheduler has either missed the last update or its not being called I.e. cron not calling scheduler or there is errors in the code.

I have just refreshed it loads of times and it rolled over, and started working, so my guesses are that one of the shed_xxxx files are breaking some place.

So the apache error logs will need to be looked at.
Okay, awesome. Thanks for that info. I'll look into it and try to figure out what's going wrong.

If one of the scheduler timing values in config is out of bounds, could that cause this condition? That's my first guess since that's the last seemingly related stuff I was messing with recently.

User avatar
TheMightyDude
Site Admin
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 am

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by TheMightyDude » Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 pm

JokerAce wrote: Okay, awesome. Thanks for that info. I'll look into it and try to figure out what's going wrong.

If one of the scheduler timing values in config is out of bounds, could that cause this condition? That's my first guess since that's the last seemingly related stuff I was messing with recently.
Well not knowing what you have changed makes things difficult.

I am just creating a new file that "should" work on your version of BNT and requires a slight change in scheduler.php ,asshuming you haven't changed that file yet.

A quick look at it so far...

Image

I put in an error in the sched_ranking.php file, so what ever the sched_x file has the error in it "should" say "Out of Sync" until it completes that exact sched file.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog Twitter Twitch

JokerAce
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 am

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by JokerAce » Wed May 24, 2017 3:32 pm

TheMightyDude wrote:
JokerAce wrote: If one of the scheduler timing values in config is out of bounds, could that cause this condition? That's my first guess since that's the last seemingly related stuff I was messing with recently.
Well not knowing what you have changed makes things difficult.

I am just creating a new file that "should" work on your version of BNT and requires a slight change in scheduler.php ,asshuming you haven't changed that file yet.
Are decimals valid in the $sched_----- lines in the config.php?

For example:

$turns_per_tick = 1; // Update how many turns per tick
$sched_turns = .01; // New turns rate (also includes towing, xenobe)

I have been trying to slow the new turn rate because, if set to 1, turns virtually never run out, which defeats the daily turn concept so someone with nothing better to do could play 20 hours a day and be unstoppable.

There may be a better way to accomplish this anyhow, I have just been trying to experiment with the values here.

JokerAce
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:01 am

Re: Trade Wars 2117

Post by JokerAce » Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 pm

TheMightyDude wrote: A quick look at it so far...

Image

I put in an error in the sched_ranking.php file, so what ever the sched_x file has the error in it "should" say "Out of Sync" until it completes that exact sched file.
That's great! That would be really helpful. Where could I find that file or the code for it?

On a side note, I'm working with my hosting company right now since the server just ran out of disk space. Hopefully, they can just provision more space fairly quickly.
Last edited by JokerAce on Wed May 24, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply