How is score calculated?

Do you need help playing, have ideas for the game or just want to talk about what's going on in the game? This is the place.

BBB

How is score calculated?

Post by BBB » Fri Sep 04, 2020 18:03 UTC

New(ish) unexperienced player. I've never seen how the score is calculated, trying to figure optimal early-game strategies, although not sure to what extent score is useful as a metric for evaluating effectiveness of different opening strategies.

For example, it feels like activities like populating planets are fairly score-neutral, which makes sense if your score is calculated based on the total purchase price of all of your "assets" (i.e. you're trading credits for colonists/fighters). However, if the score is based on their value (i.e. figuring out a NPV for those colonists based on credit production for an equivalent amount of credits in the IGB / planet), then I wouldn't expect this to be neutral since the act of getting colonists generates more "value" than the equivalent cash that can be earned in a trade when calculated in this way.

I don't suppose it actually matters that much if I have faith in my math/decision making. I'm sure you've already all figured this out so hopefully I come to the same conclusion. Just wanting to know whether the fact that my efficiency score being lower is an indication that I'm doing something wrong, or just taking a different strategy which is perhaps biased against based on how score is calculated.

Cheers!

BBB

Re: How is score calculated?

Post by BBB » Fri Sep 04, 2020 23:21 UTC

Holy cow, IGB loans are really good, I don't know why I didn't realize that sooner.

BBB

Post by BBB » Fri Sep 04, 2020 23:26 UTC

Ahhhhh I didn't check the settings for the planetary production values, all my calcs assumed 67 colonists make a credit :'( my calcs were just wrong.

thekabal

Post by thekabal » Tue Sep 08, 2020 15:27 UTC

BBB wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 23:21 UTC Holy cow, IGB loans are really good, I don't know why I didn't realize that sooner.
Correct. Especially if used early on (think first day of playing), it can be an incredible snowball effect. I'm seriously considering restricting their use in that scenario "more" via various means.