Install Guide - 2023

Trying to install BNT? No guarantees we can help you (especially if you're hosting it on windows) but we''ll try.

ashxfire

Install Guide - 2023

Post by ashxfire » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:15 UTC

Hi All,

I'm keen to play BNT again, having not played since 2009/10, so I'm looking to create my own server. I know a few are out there, but the ones I've found don't valid SSL certs, which always makes me a bit nervous :P

Is there a guide on here on how to set up and configure a server? I know Windows isn't advised, but I have both a Windows and Linux machine I'd happily use, testing performance against each other with Windows being a local-only game.

Let me know, and thank you in advance!

Ash

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Re: Install Guide - 2023

Post by TheMightyDude » Fri Dec 01, 2023 20:37 UTC

Try looking up Let's Encrypt: Let's Encrypt - Getting Started it is what we use here.
I set ours up years ago, so things may of changed within that time.

Basically Let's Encrypt gives out Free Certs that last up to 3 months, so you automate with CRON (on Linux) to shutdown Apache, get new CERTS and then restart Apache.

You might also need to lookup SSL Security as well.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch

ashxfire

Post by ashxfire » Sat Dec 02, 2023 08:52 UTC

Thanks for this, appreciate the response :)

The question isn't on SSL certs specifically, as I have experience setting those up using Let's Encrypt and OpenSSL, it's more on an installation guide for getting my own server up and running. I couldn't see one on the Forum but imagine I'm just looking in the wrong place xD

TheMightyDude
Site Admin

Post by TheMightyDude » Sat Dec 02, 2023 19:59 UTC

ashxfire wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 08:52 UTC Thanks for this, appreciate the response :)
No problems.
ashxfire wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 08:52 UTC The question isn't on SSL certs specifically, as I have experience setting those up using Let's Encrypt and OpenSSL, it's more on an installation guide for getting my own server up and running. I couldn't see one on the Forum but imagine I'm just looking in the wrong place xD
I assume you are referring to getting BNT installed on a Linux Server?

There is an install doc located in the docs folder, sadly that is outdated.

What are the Server Specs:
  • Linux OS Version.
  • Apache Version.
  • MySQL (or equivalent / fork) Version.
  • PHP Version.
Also what BNT Version was you hoping to run and where did you get the version from?

Due to BNT was originally coded for PHP 3 and older, it has had loads of issues that had to be hacked to get working to save on having to change huge amounts of code.
The code on Sourceforge will have issues, but after some changes should work, I only stopped running one here at the moment due to health issues where I am unable to monitor the game(s) and people will and do take advantage of that.

Once I know what BNT version you will be using and your Server Specs I can test and see if it will work out of the box and what is needed to get it to work.
Its that very first initial run that has the issue, all resets after that is fine.
TheMightyDude::Blacknova Development.
Development Blog YouTube Dev Channel Twitter Twitch