Xenobe Fix

For announcing, describing and discussing code changes to BNT.

Ron

Re: Xenobe Fix

Post by Ron » Wed Sep 16, 2015 02:51 UTC

Try creating a fine called dev in your BNT root folder and re-create the universe, this is to put the game into debug mode, then try again with the account creation and if it still fails see what gets displayed on the screen as well as what is displayed on perfmon.php or in the database in table adodb_logsql that might give you a reason why its not working.

Ok, got mail running on new cloud server going into mail log -thanks for the info on that.

Now the next thing - I don't have access to cron jobs on the public server. I did find this:

****NOTE**** this version now can do internal scheduling. It should be considered experimental.
To enable internal scheduling, set $sched_type = 1 in config.php
If you have access to cron, use the default cron scheduling as described above instead.

Putting the type into the config.php prevents the game from loading at all - just a blank screen is displayed. With no cron running the game really does not run as it should. Is there any order and position in the config this line must be added?

thx

thekabal

Re: Xenobe Fix

Post by thekabal » Fri Sep 18, 2015 00:57 UTC

Ron wrote: Ok, got mail running on new cloud server going into mail log -thanks for the info on that.

Now the next thing - I don't have access to cron jobs on the public server. I did find this:
You need a scheduled event runner. You can find (many) extremely low-priced hosts with cron support, you can in fact get a service that is nothing but cron jobs, and you can even setup a scheduled event on your Windows, Mac, or Linux desktop.

There just ain't no real reason not to have that. It should be listed as a core requirement for the game. I have no good reason why it hasn't been listed as such before now.
Ron wrote: ****NOTE**** this version now can do internal scheduling. It should be considered experimental.
To enable internal scheduling, set $sched_type = 1 in config.php
If you have access to cron, use the default cron scheduling as described above instead.

Putting the type into the config.php prevents the game from loading at all - just a blank screen is displayed. With no cron running the game really does not run as it should. Is there any order and position in the config this line must be added?

thx
That code is, to be kind, junk. it may "work" for small values of $works, but if you rely on it, you and your players are likely to have a bad time.

The concept behind it (have players run a small version of cron on every page load) is horribly terribly, insanely player hostile, stupid, and WRONG.

It should have been ripped out a decade ago, with apologies in the change log for it existing, ever. Its that bad of a choice.

Might as well just ask the players to run the server themselves. (This isn't directed at you, its directed to our bad choices as developers, heh).